Tuesday 2 January 2007

A Positional Problem

Below is a position from one of my recent games (I was White and was on move). During my analysis I missed a very instructive positional plan, which Fritz was screaming for when I later reviwed t with the engine. What I find most pleasing about the solution is that tactical threats create a positional advantage. Its very easy to think that strategy and tactics are distinct, but this is wrong: they go hand-in-hand! The solution will be posted in a few days.

2 comments:

Sumant said...

well, I think that white is better after playing Nd4 because eventually white will play f4 and Nf5 threatening to take the bishop on h6.That is a tavtical threat and black must protect it by playing Qd7. Oops sorry, Now I think that Qc3 is better. f4 comes after that and white is having a clear plus

Jim Grange said...

Although the knight going to d4 is a very attractive piece, it can do better than that! Building a dream position means just that: if someone asked you what you dream in life is, chances are it won't be to have a nice beakfast; it will be something much better! The same applies to the position here, the Nd4 is good, but it can do better! You are along the right lines, and mention some good moves. Think about your move order, look one move further in every variation you look at no matter how "quiet" it looks and the answer will be clear!