Monday 17 August 2009

White to play...

What is your plan for white in the following position?



This is a position I reached as white in an OTB friendly game this evening. It arose from a variant of the Pirc defence (I opened 1)d4 Nf6 2)Nc3!? d6 3)e4 etc...). White seems to have a slight advantage due to a slight lead in development and better centralisation. However, despite the positional plusses, I found it hard to come up with a decent plan.
How would you handle this position as white? Use the comment function to give me your positional plan (I don't necessarily mean exact moves, but what is your ideal piece placement and general plan).
I will post how I handled the position later.


4 comments:

Dave said...

Firstly i would exchange the dark square bishops, manoeuvre knights to the king side, maybe rook lift to g file and concentrate a kingside attack

Jim Grange said...

That's an interesting plan! I had an analysis session with some chaps on ICC last night, and it seems that your plan seems to be the best response.

I hadn't appreciated the strength of getting the dark-sq bishops off, but with the Queen over on the K-side after f4, there were a few nice Nf5 tactics going on with the black King on g7.

Thanks for your comment!

Salty said...

Hey Jim ! Salty here :-) If you ask for a positional move, I'd certainly play 1.f4, with various ideas (e5 dxe5 Ne6 Qxd7, Nb5, f5). However, looking at the position of the black queen, I wondered if there wasn't a tactical shot lurking: 1.Ba6 Bxa6 2.Nc6 Qc8 3.Nxe7+ Unfortunately, it seems black can decline with 1...Bxd4 2.Bxb7 Bxe3 3.Qxe3 Rb8 and I don't think white has improved his position much :(

Jim Grange said...

Nice line, and it's a shame black can just decline it like you say. I couldn't see any tactical way of taking advantage of his oddly placed pieces, so I assumed the solution (if there is one) was positional. I am going to put up what I played in a minute, I think that he could have played better somewhere, but the plan I played seemed to work out OK.

Cheers for your input!

Jim.