Sunday 27 May 2007

Round 5

Brendan Shields Vs. Jim Grange
Gwynedd Championships, Round 5, Final Round





This was a must win game for me, as John Blore had won his last round game going on to 4.5/5. I was on 3.5/4 going in to my last round game, and was the only other person in the championship who could catch John. Nothing other than a win would satisfy me, and it was this that influenced my agresive (and unsound) opening choice! I soon had the upper hand and had won a pawn, but went into an endgame (which was winning) but played the obsurd 25)...e5?? which made my extra pawn morribund. I was furious with myself for this move, and a draw soon ensued. Again, I haven't included any analysis as there is so much to cover in this game. I will post some once I have got something to show.

Overall, not a bad tournament. I finished second, undefeated. Not bad for one of the lowest rated players in the field! The title will be mine next year....

No comments: